Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Who Are Those Guys? Gale Sayers's Rookie Card, Waymound Bryant, Golden Richards, Johnny Morris, Buddy Ryan, Mike Singletary, Jeannie Morris, Mike Ditka and Michael McCaskey

This is Gale Sayers's Rookie Card. His second year card is the same pose, only closer up. The card company Topps didn't bother to get a new picture. I think Gale Sayers and Jim Brown are the two best running backs ever in the National Football League. Mike Pyle was a center for the Bears when Mike Ditka was a tight end, and he had a radio show in the sixties. I sent in my question to his talk show and it was selected as the question on the week. That week they had Gale Sayers in the studio to answer my question. I wanted to know if the players had to scrimmage against Dick Butkus. Gale answered that there would be too many injuries and they only did light workouts. Because I was the winner, I won tickets to see the Bears play at Wrigley Field. The tickets were 50 yard line seats and I was able to see George Halas, Gale Sayers, Dick Butkus, and Brian Piccolo. The Bear bench was right in front of where I was sitting. I was able to walk to Wrigley Field because my house was just a few blocks down the railroad tracks. Later the Bears moved to Soldier Field on Chicago's lakefront.

Little Jill with Waymond Bryant. His nickname was Way Out which he had as a license plate on his Lincoln.  Gosh I'd like to know what Jill had in her purse.

Tommy gets a picture with wide receiver Golden Richards.

The news media: print, radio, and television came to most practices. Many times my friend Ron and I would be with the media to get good pictures. We kind of blended in like professional media photographers.

Johnny Morris was a wide receiver for the Bears. He still holds their record for most catches. He became a sports announcer for CBS in Chicago. He was the first person that I can remember who got a salary of a million dollars a year. He was married to Jeannie Morris. Tommy and I saw them sitting on a bench in Central Park in New York City. They were quite flattered that we recognized them. They seemed to us quite cozy and affectionate as we walked up to talk to them. Not long after they got divorced.

Buddy Ryan gets interviewed. He and Mike Ditka rarely talked. Buddy said he would put the defensive game plan for the week on Ditka's desk, but he doubted if Mike would understand it. Immediately after winning the Superbowl Buddy took the head coaching job with Philadelphia.




Mike Singletary is interviewed just after signing a new contract. This was right before the 1985 season. Michael McCaskey looks on. McCaskey later destroyed the Bears by firing the coaches and management that brought Chicago a super bowl victory.

Jeannie Morris visits Platteville training camp. She is coming out of the cafeteria which is right across the street from Mike Ditka's office and the dorms. Jeannie wrote the touching book Brian's Song which became a popular TV movie.

Jeannie sets up her interview near Walter Payton's motor home and away from the crowds of onlookers.

A  nice quiet interview.

Oops. They caught me sneaking up with my camera. I skedaddled.

No comments:

Post a Comment