Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Family Names - Floore, Shepherd, Backholmen, Pockowick, Stenberg - Places - Gholson, Mississippi, Shuqualak, Mississippi, Chicago, Illinois

This is, from left to right, my Aunt Mary, my Aunt Theola, my Grandfather Thomas, and my Grandmother Jackie. My Aunt Mary graduated college and owned a movie theater in New Orleans. My Aunt Theola graduated college and taught at Penn State. She left a perpetual scholarship in my Grandfather's name at Penn State. My Grandfather Thomas died before I was born. He was a mail man during the Great Depression and that steady income allowed him to purchase three hundred acres of land. He had a large house built for three hundred dollars. He had share croppers use the land and this provided additional income so that he could send his children to college. Roger Craig's (running back for the 49ers) family were once sharecroppers on my Grandfather's farm. My Grandmother Jackie's middle name is Shepherd. Her family was Irish.


My father Thomas on the left and his brother Guy. My father was named after his father. To avoid confusion his family called him Clinton. My Uncle Guy owned and operated a corn mill in Shuqualak, Mississippi.


My mother's father. He died before I was born. He was a chauffeur for McCormick, the owner of the Chicago Tribune.


My dad in a baseball uniform. I never knew he played baseball.


My mother standing by one of my father's cars. He took pictures on many of the cars that he had owned. They were big automobiles.


My parents must have taken each other's pictures.


You'll scratch the paint.


My father in this factory scene. He is the second from the right in the sweater vest. He looks happy.


Me and my sister Mary.


My father-in-law Howard Stenberg. My son's middle name is Howard. I love this good man and war hero.


1 comment: